Skip to content

My Ex Won’t Sign Divorce Papers

My Ex Won't Sign Divorce Papers

My Ex Won’t Sign Divorce Papers

When a marriage comes to an end, the process of obtaining a divorce can be a challenging and emotionally charged experience. In some cases, one party may refuse to sign the divorce papers, further complicating an already difficult situation. If you find yourself in this predicament in Australia, it’s essential to understand your legal rights and options to move the divorce proceedings forward. In this article, we’ll explore the potential reasons for an ex-partner’s refusal to sign divorce papers, the legal implications, and the steps you can take to resolve the issue.

In order to obtain a divorce, you must first meet the following requirements:

  1. You and your spouse must have been separated for at least 12 months.
  2. There is no reasonable likelihood of reconciliation.
  3. If you have children under 18, proper arrangements must be made for their care and support.
  4. You or your spouse must be an Australian citizen, a resident of Australia, or have been living in Australia for at least 12 months prior to filing for divorce.

In Australia, the divorce process is “no-fault,” meaning that the court does not consider the reasons for the breakdown of the marriage when granting a divorce. Instead, the focus is on the fact that the marriage has irretrievably broken down.

Need Help with Divorce & All that Follows?

Why not take the guess work out of it. Book a free consultation with a family law expert.

Understanding the Divorce Process in Australia

In Australia, the only legal ground for divorce is the irretrievable breakdown of the marriage. This breakdown must be evidenced by the parties living separately and apart for at least 12 months before filing for divorce. Once this separation period has been met, either spouse can apply for a divorce by filing an application with the Federal Circuit and Family Court of Australia (FCFCOA).

The divorce process typically involves the following steps:

a. Filing the divorce application: One spouse (the applicant) files an Application for Divorce with the FCFCOA, providing details about the marriage, separation, and any children involved.

b. Serving the divorce application: If the application is filed solely by one spouse, a copy of the application and supporting documents must be served on the other spouse (the respondent).

c. Response from the respondent: The respondent has the opportunity to file a Response to the Divorce application, indicating whether they agree or disagree with the grounds for divorce.

d. Hearing and Divorce Order: If the court is satisfied that the legal requirements for divorce have been met, it will grant a Divorce Order, which becomes final one month and one day after it is made.

My Ex Won’t Sign Divorce Papers: Legal Implications

It’s important to note that in Australia, the divorce process does not require both parties to sign the divorce papers. If the respondent refuses to sign or fails to respond to the divorce application, the court can still grant a Divorce Order if it is satisfied that the legal requirements for divorce have been met.

However, refusing to sign the divorce papers can have several legal implications, including:

a. Delaying the divorce process: If the respondent fails to respond to the divorce application, the court may delay granting the Divorce Order until it is satisfied that the application has been properly served and that the respondent has had a reasonable opportunity to respond.

b. Potential for additional legal costs: If the respondent’s refusal to sign the divorce papers leads to further legal proceedings or court appearances, it can result in additional legal costs for both parties.

c. Complications in property settlement and parenting arrangements: While the divorce itself can proceed without the respondent’s signature, any related matters, such as property settlement or parenting arrangements, may be more complicated if the respondent is uncooperative.

Applying for Divorce When Your Ex Won’t Sign

If you have met the requirements for divorce and your ex refuses to sign the necessary papers, you can still proceed with the application. In Australia, you can apply for a divorce either jointly with your spouse or sole. When your ex won’t sign, you will need to file a sole application.

To file a sole application, you will need to complete the following steps:

  1. Prepare the necessary documents: You will need to complete an Application for Divorce and an Affidavit of Service. These forms can be obtained from the Federal Circuit Court of Australia website or your local family law registry.
  2. Serve the documents on your spouse: You must arrange for your ex to be served with the divorce application and any supporting documents. This can be done through a process server or by registered post. If you are unable to locate your ex, you may need to apply for substituted service or dispensation of service.
  3. File the application with the court: Once your ex has been served, you can file the application and supporting documents with the Federal Circuit Court. You will need to pay the required filing fee, unless you are eligible for a fee waiver.
  4. Attend the divorce hearing: If your application is successful, the court will grant a divorce order. In most cases, you will not need to attend the hearing unless you have children under 18 and there are concerns about their welfare.

Responding to a Sole Divorce Application

If your ex has filed a sole divorce application, you will be served with the necessary documents. You have the option to respond to the application if you disagree with any of the information provided or if you want to contest the divorce.

To respond to a sole divorce application, you will need to:

  1. Complete a Response to Divorce form, which can be obtained from the Federal Circuit Court website or your local family law registry.
  2. File the response with the court within 28 days of being served with the divorce application.
  3. Serve a copy of the response on your ex.

If you do not respond to the application, the divorce may be granted in your absence.

Contested vs. Uncontested Divorce

When your ex won’t sign divorce papers, it’s important to understand the difference between a contested and an uncontested divorce. An uncontested divorce is one where both parties agree on all aspects of the divorce, including property division, spousal maintenance, and parenting arrangements. A contested divorce, on the other hand, is one where the parties cannot reach an agreement on one or more of these issues.

If your ex is refusing to sign divorce papers because they disagree with the terms of the divorce, you may need to proceed with a contested divorce. This can be a more lengthy and costly process, as it may require mediation, negotiations, or even a court hearing to resolve the disputed issues.

Book a Free Consultation with a Family Law Expert.

Issues with Divorce? Find out where you stand sooner rather than later.

Alternatives to Court Proceedings

Before proceeding with a contested divorce, it’s worth exploring alternative dispute resolution methods, such as mediation or collaborative law. These approaches can help you and your ex work through your differences and reach an agreement without the need for court intervention.


Mediation is a process where a neutral third party (the mediator) facilitates a discussion between you and your ex to help you reach an agreement on the terms of your divorce. The mediator does not make decisions for you but rather helps you communicate effectively and explore options for resolution.

Mediation can be a cost-effective and less adversarial alternative to court proceedings. It allows you and your ex to maintain control over the outcome of your divorce and can help preserve a more amicable relationship, which is particularly important if you have children together.

Collaborative Law

Collaborative law is another alternative dispute resolution method that can be used when your ex won’t sign divorce papers. In a collaborative divorce, you and your ex each hire a lawyer who is trained in collaborative law. You then work together in a series of meetings to negotiate the terms of your divorce.

The key feature of collaborative law is that all parties, including the lawyers, agree not to go to court. If an agreement cannot be reached and the matter proceeds to litigation, the collaborative lawyers must withdraw from the case, and you and your ex must hire new representation.

This approach encourages cooperation and problem-solving, as everyone is committed to reaching a mutually acceptable agreement without the threat of court proceedings.

Seeking Legal Advice

When your ex won’t sign divorce papers, it’s essential to seek legal advice from an experienced family lawyer. A lawyer can help you understand your rights and options, guide you through the divorce process, and represent your interests in court if necessary.

Your lawyer can also assist you with any related matters, such as property settlement, spousal maintenance, and parenting arrangements. They can provide advice on the likely outcome of your case and help you negotiate with your ex to reach a fair and equitable agreement.

Protecting Your Interests

Throughout the divorce process, it’s crucial to take steps to protect your interests and minimize the potential for further complications, particularly if your ex-partner is uncooperative or refusing to sign the divorce papers.

a. Documenting communications: Keep a record of all communications, including emails, letters, and phone calls, related to the divorce proceedings. This documentation can be useful if legal action becomes necessary.

b. Preserving assets: Take reasonable steps to maintain and preserve assets, such as ensuring mortgage payments are made, insurance policies are kept current, and assets are not sold or disposed of without proper legal authority.

c. Seeking financial and legal advice: Consult with financial advisers and experienced family lawyers to understand your rights and obligations, as well as the potential consequences of any actions or decisions related to the divorce proceedings.

d. Focusing on your well-being: The stress and uncertainty of a divorce process, particularly when one party is uncooperative, can take a toll on your mental and emotional well-being. Seek support from friends, family, or professional counselors to help manage the emotional impact.

Dealing with an ex who won’t sign divorce papers in Australia can be a frustrating and emotionally draining experience. However, it’s important to remember that the divorce process can proceed without the other party’s consent, provided that the legal requirements are met.

By understanding your legal rights and options, seeking professional advice and representation, and exploring alternative dispute resolution methods, you can navigate this challenging situation and move forward with your life.

Patience, perseverance, and a commitment to protecting your interests are key throughout this process. While it may be tempting to react emotionally or engage in retaliatory behavior, maintaining a calm and level-headed approach is often the most effective way to resolve the dispute and obtain a fair and equitable outcome.

Remember, the refusal to sign divorce papers is ultimately a temporary obstacle, and with the right legal strategies and support, you can overcome this hurdle and begin the next chapter of your life with greater clarity and stability.

Family law matters don't need to be complex and take years to resolve

Why not book a free appointment now with one of our early-resolution family law experts.

Also Consider Preparing Your Spouse for Divorce if it’s not too late

The most important thing you can do to minimise the risk of your former partner is to prepare ahead of time. Most people who won’t sign the divorce papers are in denial that the relationship is over.  Here are some things that you should consider if you’re in a position to do so.

Prepare an agenda

Not in the sense of a personal agenda, but a collaborative understanding of the divorce or separation process with your divorce lawyer. This will help you be prepared for the road ahead.

Put your children first

Going through a separation or divorce is difficult, and as a parent, you should always think about the consequences for your kids. It can be incredibly stressful. Post-separation, do as much as you can to continue to co-parent with your ex-partner and avoid emotionally embroiling your children with unpleasant comments about your ex-partner at all times.

Be calm.

Sure, this is easier said than done. But when emotions are heightened, things can fly off the handle that can seriously damage a good working relationship between you and your ex-partner following separation.

Be objective and realistic.

In our experience, some people fight over the smallest things. Separation and everything that follows is all about compromise. Those who are best able to compromise come out the other end emotionally and often financially better-off. Lawyers are expensive. You don’t want us in your life for longer than necessary.

Don’t go it alone

As part of being objective and realistic, consider what you and your children need to make the road ahead less traumatic. Counseling can significantly help in keeping things in the picture.

What Next?

At Mediations Australia, we’re early resolution focused. If you need help with family law advice or need assistance finding the middle ground with your ex-partner, We have a team of family lawyers and mediators who can assist you in CanberraPerthAdelaideMelbourneSydney, and all other locations in Australia. WE offer a free, no-obligation consultation with a family lawyer or mediator. Get legal advice from us today!

Getting legal advice early is the most important thing to do.

Sadly people often wait too long to get legal advice. Take advantage of our FREE consultation with a family law expert.

Get Help from Mediations Australia